Contact Details

Principal: Mrs R van Blerk

Postal Address:
P O Box 359
Kimberley

8300
South Africa
Physical Address:
Elsmere Road
Belgravia
Kimberley
8301
South Africa

E-Mail Address:

info@kimberleygirlshigh.org.za

Telephone:
+27 (0)53 832 1275

Facsimile:
+27 (0)53 832 9557

School GPS coordinates:
28o 44'52''24o 46'42''E 

Hostel GPS coordinates:
28o 44'43''24o 46'49''E

History

 

Kimberley Girls' High was established in on 12 April 1887, with 21 pupils on the roll.

 

 Classes were held in the Woodley Street Hall until the completion, a year later, of the school buildings in Lanyon Terrace.  The Boys' High and Girls' High Schools occupied separate wings of these buildings until 1913, when they moved to their present sites.

 

At first Girls' High School ranged fro the sub-standards to Standard 10, but in 1927 the junior classes separated to form the Belgravia Junior School.

 

In 1977 Belgravia Junior School and Kimberley Boys' Junior School joined to form Kimberley Junior School.

 

1987 was a very special year in the school's history, as it was the school's Centenary year.

 

1990 was the next important date in GHS history, when it became a non-racial school.

 

Girls' High has an enrolment of approximately 600 pupils.  The school buildings include, in addition to the usual classrooms, a well stocked library, a media centre, 4 science laboratories, 2 computer centres and 2 music rooms.

 

Standing in shady grounds at the corner of Elsmere and Rendlesham Roads, Girls' High School, which is a national monument, is by common consent one of the most beautiful schools in the country.